Voluntary and involuntary barring

People who are barred from gambling commit an offence if they break a barring order.

The Independent Gambling Authority (IGA) or gambling providers can bar a person from gambling activities or from entering the area of a venue where gambling takes place. People can be barred if they could suffer harm or cause harm to their family because of gambling. They can also ask to be barred if they feel they may be losing control over their problem gambling.

If you are worried about your gambling, you can ask the venue or the IGA to bar you.
Get help with a gambling problem

If you are worried about the gambling behaviour of someone you know, you can initate a barring.
Bar someone from gambling

Family protection orders

The IGA can bar someone from gambling if it affects family members who are dependent on them. A barring order can:

  • bar someone from gambling activities and particular venues
  • compel someone to attend counselling
  • have wages paid directly to a family member or into a specific account.

Apply for a family protection order

Barring and Online Employee Notification (BOEN)

Login to BOEN

Gambling providers and their staff can use BOEN to manage barrings with the IGA electronically. You can bar someone if you feel they could suffer harm or cause harm to family members because of problem gambling. You can also bar a gambler if they request it.

You must notify the IGA within seven days of barring someone or from refusing a request to bar someone.

Find out more about BOEN