The Independent Gambling Authority (IGA) is an independent statutory body.
The IGA ensures that integrity is maintained in commercial gambling operations and that gambling products are delivered in a way that minimises harm and promotes responsible gambling.
The IGA is responsible for :
- mandatory advertising and responsible gambling codes of practice for:
- the Adelaide Casino
- hotels and clubs with gaming machines
- Ubet SA
- licensed racing clubs
- authorised interstate betting operator
- licensed bookmakers
- SA Lotteries.
- administering a state-wide gambling barring scheme and is the responsible body for the problem gambling family protection orders scheme.
- commissions research projects into matters relevant to the IGA’s functions.
The IGA and Consumer and Business Services
The IGA works closely with Consumer and Business Services, the agency which supports the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner.
The commissioner is responsible to the IGA for the constant scrutiny of licensed gambling businesses.
When performing its functions, the IGA takes into account:
- fostering responsibility in gambling, in particular, minimising harm caused by gambling, recognising the positive and negative impacts of gambling on communities
- maintainenance of an economically viable and socially responsible gambling industry (including an economically viable and socially responsible club and hotel gaming machine industry) within South Australia.
Members are appointed by the Governor of South Australia.
Alan Peter Moss, LL B
Presiding member since 1 October 2007
Mr Moss is a retired Judge of the District Court of South Australia. He is presently an auxiliary Judge of the District Court.
Penelope Frances Kaempf, BA, LL B
Member and deputy to the presiding member since 28 August 2010
Ms Kaempf is retired from legal practice and continues as member of the Law Society Litigation Assistance Fund.
Eve Lyn Barratt, B SocSc, MAIPC
Member since 11 April 2013
Ms Barratt is the chief executive of Lifeline South East.
Amanda Dianne Blair
Member since 28 August 2010
Ms Blair is a columnist and media presenter, and is a consultant to a number of government and private organisations.
Adrian Gary Tisato, BA, LL B, GDLP
Member since 1 October 2010
Mr Tisato is a practising lawyer in Adelaide.
Margaret Wallace, BA, Dip T (Sec), Grad Cert Mgt
Member since 13 February 2003
Ms Wallace is a private consultant. Prior to opening her consulting business she was a senior executive of the state education system.
Joseph John Ullianich BEc CPA
Member since 9 July 2015
Mr Ullianich is the retired chief financial officer of the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion.
The IGA reports annually to the Minister for Consumer and Business Services and the Minister for Racing. Annual reports are published online once they have been tabled in parliament.
Visit the Annual reports page to read previous years' reports.
Authorised Betting Operations Act 2000
Casino Act 1997
Gaming Machines Act 1992
Independent Gambling Authority Act 1995
Problem Gambling Family Protection Orders Act 2004
Racing (Proprietary Business Licensing) Act 2000
State Lotteries Act 1966